The first step in your home buying process should be to get a preapproval from a bank or lender. You might check rates from several sources. Many mortgage bankers have on line websites that can take this information for you.
Information Needed At Application:
1. Current paystub for each borrower
2. Two most recent bank statements
3. Most recent investment account statements (if applicable)
4. Copy of driver's license
5. Two most recent tax returns and W2 forms
6. The lender will ask permission to run a credit report
This will save you time when you know how much home you can afford.